Thursday, August 16, 2007

Sheperd's Warning Dawn

     

The dawn was very beautiful this morning- an intense pink red- it backlit the trees that looked black against the light.

I have included some pages from a pomegranate journal I made last year . I started working in it but then abandoned it- probably because I went away on a trip somewhere.I always travel very light ( apart from quilts) so I only ever take one journal. Depending how long the trip is, I start a new one or just keep going in an older one if it is a short trip. In the last couple of years I have started keeping and making thematic journals, because everything used to be all over the place. I am developing a couple of themes in my work so find it easier to keep all the bits and pieces and ideas in the same journal- easier to find things afterwards. I don't necessarily draw up any of my designs in this way, but I do play around with visual shapes and ideas- put any research I do in here- I like to find as much information as I can about subject matter. I am also working towards a solo exhibition in Munich next year anbd want the pieces to tie together in a coherent way-so that there is a progression . I like going back to places I have travelled. The first time is thrilling and exciting but I actually see more the second and third times and seem to be able to assimilate place, nuances of place and feelings better
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dijanne, I love your art journals...wonderful textures and shapes.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Good points about keeping/organizing art journals. These pages are so lovely and I can see how they relate to your actual pomegranate pieces without being strict copies. I haven't progressed beyond pencil sketches, although I do keep a tech journal where I paste in either pictures of my samples are the actual samples. It is much more compelling because of the colors and textures than my sketch books.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the solo exhibition coming up in Munich! Let us know where and when (on the offchance I can be there, heh.) You do have a lot of enviable and fascinating international shows and travel. And I love your journals - so well organized.