Tuesday, November 23, 2004

More Traveller Tales


Bedouin Posted by Hello
This is another of the postcards, that I found by a father written to his children back in Australia in the early part of the twentieth century. This one carries no writing but was found amongst a bundle of ones he had written on so I am presuming he did send this one also. None of the cards carry stamps so I presume he sent them home in a letter to his family. This card appeals because the scarf that comes form the headdress is obviously dyed with some resist technique, which has created an interesting pattern. It also looks as if he is wearing some kind of coarsely woven cloak.When I look at this card and the one I previously posted of the griot I am fascinated by the richness of the textile, the expressivenss of it.

No comments: